Monday, November 16, 2009

Midwife says no. 6wks, 1 day.

6wks, 1 day.

First up: awful news.

We were ready to book a midiwife, and she's now spoken to me last night and said that she and the other local middies (there are only a handful) have all had a meeting and decided *NOT* to take on any new clients (who are due from July 1st onwards) until they know what is going on with the proposed legislation that MAY see homebirth become illegal in Australia from July next year onwards. I am due July 11th :( Nooooo!!

Friend April Bevin says she may be able to get me in with a midwife who will help out anyway, but her fees are right at the top end of the scale at $5000. We're in some fair debt at the moment and I am super-reluctant to take on any more (I don't even know if it would be possible!), so not sure if that is an option or not. However if it comes down to $5000 vs. giving birth in the local hospital, I think I know which I'd choose...!

It is just AWFUL. I could not believe my ears. The Australian government is in shambles!!! And to have a midwife tell me she can't take me on, and nor will any of the other local midwives, almost had me in tears on the phone.

So, back to regular pregnancy news. I am 6 weeks, and not only has the morning sickness started two days ago (I'm getting mild nausea at nighttime) - I think I have also started to get a bump. I look a bit 'bloated', like I've overeaten. Usually I would wake up with a washboard-flat stomach, and sometimes it expands a little during the day as I eat etc. but now I am waking up with a pudgy tummy. I think it's basically from my uterus thickening but still, a bump all the same!

Compare pic from 4 wks to pic at 6wks (today's):




Can you see the slight swelling?? Ben can see it too, it's actually making me really self-concious, I just feel as though I look chubby, ha ha! I keep trying to "suck it in" but it doesn't quite work.

I'm getting my first blood test today. I'm quite nervous, especially because I *won't* be getting the EMLA (numbing) patch. I rang to ask about it and the blood-lady told me, "Sure, you can have the EMLA patch, but you'll have to come an hour earlier because it takes 60mins for it to work" -- I thought, I can't possibly sit there hyperventilating for an hour beforehand..! I'll probably pass out.

ETA: A friend has just told me I can buy an EMLA patch from the chemist! Righto then, off I go!

No comments:

Post a Comment