Monday, November 16, 2009

First GP appointment - what a joke!

 (This is from a week ago but I forgot to post it! So it's from 5wks, 2 days.)

Had my first GP appointment this morning. Really, what did I expect? I'm ever the eternal optimist, I suppose...

Basically I got drilled that I:

- MUST have a blood test (he told me it was "NON-negotiable!" WTF)
- MUST get the HCN1 vax "because if I catch swine flu the foetus will die"
- MUST book in for the Downs scan
- MUST not touch my cats for 9mths "because I'll catch toxoplasmosis and the foetus will die"
- MUST organised shared care with an Ob through the hospital
- MUST get over my fear of needles because 'the first thing they'll do when you arrive at the hospital in labour is stick an IV in you'


Looooovely! What an ALARMIST he was, and so increidbly obsessed with the 'system'. Not only did he not mention a THING about midwives, he didn't even give me homebirth as an option! I was furious the whole appointment but keep my cool, appearing to 'agree' to everything he said, just hoping he'd just give me a referral for the 20wk scan, (which is all we want) so I could get the hell out of there. No such luck. The sooner I get my midwife organised the better, me thinks! I'll have to take her back with me to get the scan referral. I'm not paying $50 per 10mins to have to sit there and justify myself for an hour.

Anyway the only thing he said to me that concerned me (out of all the bullshit) was that a blood test was important to check a) my thyroid function, b) check that I'm not carrying toxoplasmosis, and c) find out my blood type (I don't know it yet).

I really *don't* want to get bloods done. I feel it's unnecessary. But those are all really important things, right? I don't know what to do... hmm. Would I know if I had a dodgy thyroid??

Anyway, vent over. What an awful experience. So glad I am **INFORMED** and wasn't taken in by all his crap and "..or else the foetus will die" warnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment